1.12.2015

A Stable Wall or A Fickle Door?


"I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that ye stir not up nor awake my love, until he please. ...What shall we do for our sister in the day when she shall be spoken for? If she be a wall, we will build upon her a palace of silver: and if she be a door, we will enclose her with boards of cedar."   
 Song of Solomon 8:4,8(b)-9 

I charge you, O daughters
Who dream in the breeze,
That ye stir not nor awake
My love till he please. 
And what shall I say more?
But this I inquire--
Do ponder thy path well,
Keep guard thy desire. 
Art thou like a wall
That's stable and sure?
Or is thy heart open
To aught like a door? 
A wall is quite anchored
To the foundation,
In strength it upholds
The King's habitation. 
It offers security,
Protection and shade,
And reveals the skill
With which it was made. 
This wall wavers not
In winds that may blow,
To those lustful whims
It firmly says 'no'. 
It guards those inside
From foreign intrusion,
And never gives harm
By foolish protrusion. 
The weary may lean
Upon this stable wall
Without fear it gives way
Into which they might fall. 
The wall is the beauty
Of the house it upholds,
The mighty rejoice when
It's strength they behold. 
What is to be done
Unto such a wall?
Shall not we display
The King's banners thereon? 
I charge you, O daughters
Who dream in the breeze,
That ye stir not nor awake
My love till he please. 
But what of the door
That's open to aught--
Is it firm and stable?
I tell you it's not! 
It swings in and out
With every new wind--
Wisdom slips out while
Mischief rushes in. 
It cares not to support
The weary and worn,
But opens up wide to
Each whim that is born. 
It cannot decide
The way it will go--
It's affections are fickle,
It swings to and fro'. 
It causes to stumble
Those passing nearby;
At first it is closed,
Then open it flies. 
The King's silver palace
Cannot be upheld
By pivoting doors
So fickle to tell. 
What ought to be done
Unto such a door?
A wall built around
Will enclose it secure. 
For boundaries must be
About the free heart
That cannot control
Its own self apart. 
Art thou like a wall
That's steady and sure?
Or is thine heart open
To aught like a door? 
I charge you, O daughters
Who dream in the breeze,
That ye stir not nor awake
My love till he please.


Copyright © 2014 Elisabeth Linzey 

1 comment:

  1. May God help me to keep my heart pure with all diligence. May He be my first love.
    There are many things that can take first place in our hearts: Sports, music, family, food, comfort, sleep, guys; whatever takes place in your life over God.
    God's desire is for you to love Him more than anyone and anything. He loves you so much and He knows that He is the only one who can truly satisfy.

    ReplyDelete