9.11.2015

One Lone Flower

 I walked along life’s dusty road
On dry and rocky sod,
 The heat of desert scorched my brow
As step-by-step I trod.

It was not my desired lot
To follow down this path—
A sullen, lonely, barren vale—
To find what e’re it hath.

My heart called to the mountaintops
Where life and joy abode,
T’was there where laughter filled my mouth;
Rich blessings He bestowed.

He said He’d take me to the heights
If I but followed Him,
Yet, here I stood quite far from where
He’d promised to me then.

Away from every climbing steep
And going further down,
My tears descended like the path
That seemed to run aground.

“This is not right!” I protested,
“I don’t deserve this vale!
I want the golden heights, sublime,
Not desert!” I bewailed.

 Then, in the corner of my eye
I caught a glimpse of gold,
A tiny spark of hope and love,
That held a joy untold.

T’was but a little flower standing
Strong, though all alone,
It seemed to sing the sweetest tune
Of faith serenely shown.

I listened, captive by its voice
That echoed in my heart;
What words of yielded, loyalty
No other could impart!

Then, rising from my seat of gloom,
I lifted up my gaze
And looked unto the hills, from whence
My Help shown bright, ablaze.

In trusting, yielded tenderness
My heart but overflowed
With that same sweetness as displayed
Through what a flower owed.

“Behold me, now, dear Lord,” I prayed,
“Thy humble handmaiden,
Though, here my lot is but to pass
Through this land, so barren,

“I sweetly trust Thy will for me,
E’en though it dreary seems,
For You have promised, You will do,
And this is best for me.

“So, take me now, Thy little flower,
 And may Thy grace I employ,
Sparkle Thy love and peace through me;
I am ‘Acceptance-with-Joy’.”
Copyright © Elisabeth Linzey 2015




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/12/2015

    Wow! It does get lonely on life's road sometimes, but God is so faithful to send the little things to remind us that He has a plan for each specific person. It reminds me of the verse about how He clothes the fields with grass, etc. how much more does He take care of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah9/12/2015

    That is such a good poem! So encouraging! I think it's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you......so needed in this moment... Love you, sweet sister ❤

    ReplyDelete